Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Silent Night Ride

A warm welcome and thank you for coming by to visit my blog and a big thanks to you if you have the time to leave a comment and/or join as a follower. I want to say I really appreciate all the comments on my last post.  Please let me know you stopped by, so I can be sure and return the favor. 

Wow I just could not figure out how to use the IO Mountain Landscape layers die where it would look natural.  Finally, I used the bottom part of the mountain die on the blue card stock and glitter card stock for the snow covered mountains.   That way the blue card stock fits over the top part and makes it look like it is part of the scene.

Materials:
Impression Obsession - Mountain Landscape Layers & Fir Trees, Hill Landscape Layers, Small Cabin & Santa

DCWV 12 X 12 card stock stack Glitzy Glitter  (JoAnn Craft Store) PS if using this glittery paper place a piece of wax paper down on the die first then the card stock will cut through beautifully and not stick to the intricate tree branches.

Recently on the weekend my husband and I drove over to the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge to do the Ridgefield Auto tour.  It is a 4 mile drive through wetlands and during the winter there are lots of migrating birds to see.  Make sure to bring your binoculars.  In case you have never seen a Nutria I have enclosed a picture.  These animals are really invasive now and do a lot of  damage to the vegetation and also gnaw on trees.


Yes they look like a beaver but without the paddle tail.  

Nutria (Myocastor coypus, Fig. 1) are semi-aquatic rodents native to southern parts of South America. In the 1930s, they were sold throughout North America to fur farmers and as a means of controlling unwanted aquatic vegetation. Various associations, magazine and newspaper articles, and demonstrations at county fairs promoted the sale of nutria in Washington.
More than 600 nutria farms existed in Oregon and Washington from the 1930s to the 1950s. Flooding and storms damaged holding structures, allowing nutria to escape. Farmers also released their stock when nutria farming became uneconomical. By the 1940s, nutria had been captured by trappers on both sides of the Cascade Mountains in Washington.

26 comments:

  1. Wonderful use of your dies to create this gorgeous scene! I've never heard of a Nutria before so thanks for the info and what a great photo you captured of it. Debra x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Diane,
    Another of your stunning scene cards.
    I just LOVE how you manage to make everything look so good.
    Great picture, I had never heard of the animal "every day is a school day" it's amazing what you can learn from a Blog. Thank You for that.
    Have a good day
    Patricia X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card Diane.
    I must say I have never heard of a Nutria, but it looks very like a Capybara to me :o)
    Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow I love your scene you did a great job using those mountains, looks so neat and fun to have Santa flying over.
    Cute picture, I have never heard of those little guys, sounds like a neat drive to take!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fun design Diane! The mountains are beautiful and santa is on his way to bring gifts ;) Gorgeous picture of the Nurtia! He really does look like a beaver LOL :)
    Hugs Chantal

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another super scene - the mountains are perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those snow capped mountains on this beautiful scenic card! So very pretty! You have such an artistic talent with dies Diane.
    Love the picture of the Nutria too! We had one on our place down this way several years ago. Strange looking and almost look like an overgrown rat. Sounds like y'all had a great trip.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Diane, another fabulous card, always so creative and I just love it, Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Diane, Your scene is another real stunner. What a gorgeous card it is.

    I've never heard of a nutria so was interested to see the photo and read about him. He does look like a beaver. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do so love your scene's and this is no exception, the mountains look great.
    Very interesting post too.

    Kath x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulouc card and love the mountain scene. Hugs, Carol S.xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful Christmas scene its magical That wildlife refuge sounds amazing shame its so far away for a day trip!! Love and hugs Carole x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Diane, a lovely festive scene, looking the snowy mountains and of course Santa 🎅 delivering! Great wildlife pic too.
    Have a super weekend, hugs Erika. X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love scene cards! This is fabulous! You have an awesome collection of dies! Great pic of the critter - it does look like a beaver!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Diane I love this gorgeous festive scenic creation your details with the mountains and trees looks amazing
    hugs
    lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've created a wonderful festive scene with your dies Diane, a gorgeous card. I hadn't heard of a nutria either, so learnt something new today too. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  17. That scene you created on your card is STUNNING!!! LOVE the trees!! What a cool photo you took too!!! I have only seen that animal in a zoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I absolutely love this beautiful scene and the snow tops look amazing, thanks for sharing the photo with us, I have never heard of this animal but I agree he dose look like a beaver to me too..
    Hugs Babs...x

    ReplyDelete
  19. A fabulous card, you create the most wonderful scenes.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Must admit I have never heard of the animal either-beautiful card and love the silhouette Santa and sleigh
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your card. That is a great scene you created with the diecuts.
    Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment on my Santa card.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this wonderful card, Diane! How awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is a great card. I love how you have put it all together to create the scene. As for Nutria?????? it sounds like a vitamin supplement :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fabulous scene Diane..love the mountains and little cabin with the trees and Santa flying over top..so cute.

    luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by for a visit, and leaving a comment. I enjoy reading each and every one of them, and they are really appreciated. Thank you so much,
Diane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis